Has anyone taken the plunge and upgraded to Windows 8? Or perhaps you bought a new PC or laptop with Windows 8 preinstalled? If so, I’m sure you are feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment.
But don’t despair or be daunted by the changes in Microsoft’s newest OS. I’m going to give you a few tips and share a few secrets and introduce you to your new best friend – the Windows key.
the windows key
This handy key will help you with many tasks under Windows 8. Here are a few of the ways this key, with others, can be used:
- the windows key = shows the new start page with your installed programs and apps
- the windows key + m = minimizes everything showing on the desktop
- the windows key + . = snaps a window to the right or left. keep pressing to return the window to normal viewing
- the windows key + , = a peek at the desktop for as long as you hold those keys down.
- the windows key + tab = shows all open programs and will allow you to cycle through them by repeatedly pressing this key combo
- the windows key + print screen = takes a snapshot of your desktop and stores it in the Pictures/Screenshots folder
I’m a huge fan of keyboard shortcuts and since my fingers are on the keyboard more than the mouse, I use shortcuts to cut down on excessive mouse clicking, which I find slows me down. I’m all for working smarter, not harder.